Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 2:46 pm
Will Sutton named Sporting News All-American
This honor comes a fews day after Sutton earned the same recognition from CBSSports.com and Athlon Sports. CBS Sports also named Sutton its Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year on Tuesday a week after conference coaches named him the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year.
The junior defensive tackle ended a dominant season with 58 total tackes, 20 of which were for a loss, and 10.5 sacks. His 1.82 tackles for loss per game were good for first in the conference and fifth in the nation, while his 0.95 sacks per game ranked third in the Pac-12 and 12th in the nation.
The Sporting News is one of five All-America teams officially recognized by the NCAA in determining their consensus All-Americans.
The other four are the Associated Press, the Football Writers Association of America, the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the American Football Coaches Association, which is the only one who has released its selected team. Sutton was also among its list of honorees.
Sutton and the Sun Devils are scheduled to face the United States Naval Academy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl December 29 at AT&T Park in San Francisco.
- ESPN's Mark May: Stanford QB Hogan key to Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU's Foster has 'a different look in his eye' as role increases
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Week 7
- The Pulse: Fans say ASU's win over UCLA most impressive of the season
- Arizona State's Randall, Gonzalez named Pac-12 Players of the Week
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Tuesday December 3Mandel discusses USC's coaching hire and the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Rece Davis, ESPN college football host - Tuesday December 3Rece Davis previews the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship game.
- Herb Sendek, Arizona State men's basketball coach - Tuesday December 3Sendek discusses ASU trying to rebound from dropping two of its last three.