Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Graham, Devils prepare for triple option
When they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, the Devils will be trying to find a way to stop the Midshipmen's potent triple option attack.
"Their offense is one that is very difficult to get TFLs (tackles for loss) on because very few negative yardage plays because you are quick hitting, dives, the triple option inside," Graham said.
The Arizona State defense has done a good job pressuring the quarterback and stopping the pass this season, but that won't help too much against the run-heavy Navy attack.
"Their strength is a challenge for us because if there is anything that we probably haven't done as well against and where we need to make the most improvement is in our run defense," Graham said.
If Graham's Devils expect to slow down the sixth-ranked rushing attack in the country, they will need to stop true freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds, who leads the team with 10 rushing touchdowns.
According to Graham, the scout team has been trying to simulate Reynolds and the triple option attack with freshman wide receiver Parker Rasmusson and other athletes manning the quarterback position.
"The problem is that their quarterback can throw it and do all that, it's tough to simulate. I think he is the key to their offense," Graham said. "I have been very impressed."
Despite ASU's lack of success stopping the run this season and their lack of experience against the triple option, Graham said he doesn't plan on adjusting his usual game plan much.
"We are going to do what we do," Graham said. "It boils down to fundamentals, blocking, tackling and being sound in what you're doing."
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Less than 5,000 tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Football Color Analyst - Friday December 6Is this the biggest game in ASU football history?
- Rocky Harris, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6What will be the economic impact of ASU's success?
- Todd Graham, Head Coach ASU Football - Friday December 6Todd Graham talks to Doug and Wolf about the Pac-12 Championship Game.
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel