Updated Dec 22, 2012 - 11:34 am
Will Sutton: 'I don't know yet' about my future at ASU
The Pac-12's Defense Player of the Year led the conference with 20 tackles for loss, ranked third with 10.5 sacks and led the Sun Devils to the top of the Pac-12 in pass defense and pass efficiency defense.
With a year of eligibility still remaining, a return to Tempe could be very beneficial for both the reigning Morris Trophy recipient (given to the conference's top lineman) and ASU in 2013. However after a stellar junior campaign, the lure of the NFL is certainly pulling at Sutton, meaning the Sun Devils' game against Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on December 29 could very likely be his last in maroon and gold.
"I don't know yet," Sutton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday on his upcoming decision. "I've got until the 15th of January, so we will know before then."
While Sutton won't commit one way or the other at this point in terms of coming back to ASU or entering the draft, the highly-touted defensive lineman said he would certainly go through the process of contacting the league's advisory committee to gage what his pro prospects are.
In addition to the committee's advice, Sutton said he's also listening to others in his close-knit circle.
"It's a lot," said Sutton on the number of people he's listening to about his future. "Probably about 10 people."
While ESPN analyst Mel Kiper is not a member of Sutton's circle of trust, based on his evaluation, the junior has an easy decision to make: stay in school.
Sutton did not make Kiper's 2013 NFL Draft Big Board and was only ranked as the No. 4 defensive tackle among juniors.
History is on Sutton's side, however. Five of the last seven ASU players to be taken in the first round have come on the defensive side of the football.
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?