Will Sutton: 'I don't know yet' about my future at ASU
The Pac-12's Defense Player of the Year led the conference with 20 tackles for loss, ranked third with 10.5 sacks and led the Sun Devils to the top of the Pac-12 in pass defense and pass efficiency defense.
With a year of eligibility still remaining, a return to Tempe could be very beneficial for both the reigning Morris Trophy recipient (given to the conference's top lineman) and ASU in 2013. However after a stellar junior campaign, the lure of the NFL is certainly pulling at Sutton, meaning the Sun Devils' game against Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on December 29 could very likely be his last in maroon and gold.
"I don't know yet," Sutton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday on his upcoming decision. "I've got until the 15th of January, so we will know before then."
While Sutton won't commit one way or the other at this point in terms of coming back to ASU or entering the draft, the highly-touted defensive lineman said he would certainly go through the process of contacting the league's advisory committee to gage what his pro prospects are.
In addition to the committee's advice, Sutton said he's also listening to others in his close-knit circle.
"It's a lot," said Sutton on the number of people he's listening to about his future. "Probably about 10 people."
While ESPN analyst Mel Kiper is not a member of Sutton's circle of trust, based on his evaluation, the junior has an easy decision to make: stay in school.
Sutton did not make Kiper's 2013 NFL Draft Big Board and was only ranked as the No. 4 defensive tackle among juniors.
History is on Sutton's side, however. Five of the last seven ASU players to be taken in the first round have come on the defensive side of the football.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 23Patterson talks to Doug and Wolf about ASU football games potentially being played at Chase field du