Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 7:55 am
Sun Devils make Top 25 preseason ranking
Athlonsports.com got a head start and came out with its top 25 rankings for the upcoming college football season.
And sure enough, Arizona State made the list.
The Sun Devils are ranked No. 24, as one of five Pac-12 schools amongst the top in the country.
A two-point loss to UCLA in late October was all that separated Arizona State from a berth in the Pac-12 Championship this season. And with most of the core returning for 2013, Todd Graham's team should make a run at UCLA for the No. 1 spot in the South Division. The Sun Devils will need to find new weapons at receiver for quarterback Taylor Kelly, but sophomore running back DJ Foster is ready for a breakout campaign. The defense received good news when tackle (and likely All-American) Will Sutton returned to Tempe for his senior year. Arizona State catches a huge break in scheduling, as it misses Oregon in crossover play and hosts USC, Washington, Oregon State and Arizona - all crucial swing games for Pac-12 positioning.
Being a field goal away from a Pac-12 Championship appearance will linger in the minds of the returning Sun Devils, and a top ranking -- even if it is this early -- appears better than the perspective of the Sun Devils prior to the 2012 campaign.
After an over-achieving first season for ASU, coach Todd Graham is pleased to have Sutton, along with his core players, returning for 2013.
However, if early rankings are any indication, Graham and his Sun Devils will enter 2013 with high expectations.
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- ASU hires Patrick Suddes as assistant athletics director for recruiting
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.