Fork Report: Sun Devils struggle late, lose to rival UA
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's loss to Arizona on January 19. Arizona 71, Arizona State 54.
Jahii Carson scored a team-high 22 points despite playing much of the game in foul trouble. He and Evan Gordon accounted for 23 of the Sun Devils' 26 first half points. Gordon, the only other player in double figures, finished with 14 points in a game played in front of a soldout Wells Fargo Arena (10,900).
With 10:26 to play, Carson hit a layup pulling the Sun Devils to within two, 46-44. They would go more than four minutes (4:14) before another basket as UA responded with an 11-0 run to pull away. ASU committed 17 turnovers, their most since the start of conference play, in dropping their second straight game.
He Said It:
"I don't think we played to the best of our capabilities," Carson said. "Normally, we come out and we set the tempo. We throw the first punch. I think they did that. I think they wanted it more than us."
The Sun Devils played without senior guard and top bench performer Chris Colvin, who did not dress for the game because of a violation of team rules. "Chris just remains suspended," head coach Herb Sendek said after the game. "We'll get back to everybody on when he'll return."
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (14-4, 3-2) host USC in a game that will tipoff at 8:30 on Thursday, January 24.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.