Fox's Geraldo Rivera weighing US Senate run in NJ
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Geraldo Rivera, who hosts a weekend show on Fox News Channel, said Thursday he's seriously thinking about running for U.S. Senate in New Jersey.
"Buckle your seat belts!" said Rivera before announcing, on his radio show on WABC-AM in New York, that he is "truly contemplating" a Senate bid.
He said he has spoken to some people in the New Jersey GOP about a run, but he didn't say what they told him.
Rivera got a mixed response when he asked his 30,000 Twitter followers how they feel about him challenging either Sen. Frank Lautenberg or Newark Mayor Cory Booker.
At 89, Lautenberg is the oldest sitting U.S. senator. The Democrat hasn't said if he will seek re-election.
Booker, also a Democrat, has announced he is exploring a run but hasn't made clear if he would challenge Lautenberg in a primary, should he seek another term.
No Republican has formally announced an interest in running.
Rivera, who is 69, said he has commitments to Fox and the radio show, but "I figure at my age if I'm going to do it, I gotta do it."
"And there doesn't seem to be any Republicans ready to work against or run against" Lautenberg or Booker, he said.
The New Jersey Republican party did not return an email asking for comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.