Fox's Geraldo Rivera weighing US Senate run in NJ
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Geraldo Rivera, who hosts a weekend show on Fox News Channel, said Thursday he's seriously thinking about running for U.S. Senate in New Jersey.
"Buckle your seat belts!" said Rivera before announcing, on his radio show on WABC-AM in New York, that he is "truly contemplating" a Senate bid.
He said he has spoken to some people in the New Jersey GOP about a run, but he didn't say what they told him.
Rivera got a mixed response when he asked his 30,000 Twitter followers how they feel about him challenging either Sen. Frank Lautenberg or Newark Mayor Cory Booker.
At 89, Lautenberg is the oldest sitting U.S. senator. The Democrat hasn't said if he will seek re-election.
Booker, also a Democrat, has announced he is exploring a run but hasn't made clear if he would challenge Lautenberg in a primary, should he seek another term.
No Republican has formally announced an interest in running.
Rivera, who is 69, said he has commitments to Fox and the radio show, but "I figure at my age if I'm going to do it, I gotta do it."
"And there doesn't seem to be any Republicans ready to work against or run against" Lautenberg or Booker, he said.
The New Jersey Republican party did not return an email asking for comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.