Braxton's autistic son stars with her in new movie
NEW YORK (AP) - Toni Braxton's autistic son makes his acting debut in her new Lifetime movie, "Twist of Faith," and could have had a bigger role, but the singer didn't want to put too much pressure on him.
"He was supposed to play my son initially but by the time we worked out the shooting schedule, school had started," Braxton said of 9-year-old Diezel. (She also has an 11-year-old named Denim.)
"Even though he's considered high functioning right now, he wasn't in the past, and that's why I thought him carrying the movie and trying to do the movie and tutoring would have been too much for him," the 45-year-old singer said.
Braxton decided he should take a smaller role.
"He was a little disappointed at first, but I think in the end, he's happy about the turnout," she said.
Braxton understands the pressure. Although she has had small acting roles and stars in the WE reality TV series, "Braxton Family Values," which has its season premiere March 14, she is the main star of "Twist of Faith"- and that makes her nervous.
"I never had to carry anything before. It's a lot of work," she said of her role in the film, which debuts Saturday on Lifetime (8 p.m. EST).
"Singing is indigenous for me, but acting is not. I've had to work to prepare for it," said Braxton, adding later: "Be nice to me, guys! This is my first real acting debut! There are a few boo-boos. ... It's a lot more technical than I thought."
Braxton is better known for her Grammy-winning, multiplatinum singing career, which has netted classics like "Un-break My Heart" and "Breathe Again." She said she's working on an album with longtime collaborator Babyface called "Love, Marriage, Divorce." She's also doing a few shows here and there, but she suffers from lupus, an autoimmune disease, which prevents her from doing more. Recently, she was hospitalized for blood clots, but Braxton considers herself one of the "lucky ones" and is grateful she can still have a career.
"My doctors told me I would never be able to perform again," she said. "I'm very lucky that I'm still able to dabble in it a little bit."
Follow Nekesa Mumbi Moody at http://www.twitter.com/nekesamumbi
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!