Mom says Ala boy saw shooting of standoff suspect
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - The mother of an Alabama boy held hostage in an underground bunker for days said her son witnessed officers fatally shooting his kidnapper.
Jennifer Kirkland's comments about her son, identified by authorities only by his first name Ethan, came in an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw for an episode of the "Dr. Phil Show" that is set to air Wednesday.
In a promotional clip posted online, Kirkland said her 6-year-old son saw officers shoot the gunman identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, of Midland City.
"He says, `The Army came in and shot the bad man,'" Kirkland said.
The FBI said agents wearing combat gear entered Dykes' bunker on the sixth day of the standoff in southeast Alabama. Dykes was shot multiple times, a coroner said.
Authorities said Dykes shot and killed Ethan's school bus driver before grabbing the child off the bus and taking him into an underground shelter constructed on his rural property.
Ethan wasn't physically injured, but his mother said he has had a difficult time sleeping, and she is worried about him.
"I'm scared of how he's going to take getting on a bus," she said.
Kirkland said she wanted to swap places with her son during the standoff but wasn't allowed to. It wasn't clear in the promotional excerpt whether she made a formal offer to Dykes.
"I wanted to be there," said Kirkland.
Authorities have said they might never know why Dykes shot driver Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66, and took the boy off the bus on Jan. 29.
Dykes was due in court the day after the standoff began for a hearing on a menacing case filed in December. Neighbors say he fired a gun at them. Neighbors and acquaintances described Dykes as having strong feelings against the government.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.