Mom says Ala boy saw shooting of standoff suspect
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - The mother of an Alabama boy held hostage in an underground bunker for days said her son witnessed officers fatally shooting his kidnapper.
Jennifer Kirkland's comments about her son, identified by authorities only by his first name Ethan, came in an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw for an episode of the "Dr. Phil Show" that is set to air Wednesday.
In a promotional clip posted online, Kirkland said her 6-year-old son saw officers shoot the gunman identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, of Midland City.
"He says, `The Army came in and shot the bad man,'" Kirkland said.
The FBI said agents wearing combat gear entered Dykes' bunker on the sixth day of the standoff in southeast Alabama. Dykes was shot multiple times, a coroner said.
Authorities said Dykes shot and killed Ethan's school bus driver before grabbing the child off the bus and taking him into an underground shelter constructed on his rural property.
Ethan wasn't physically injured, but his mother said he has had a difficult time sleeping, and she is worried about him.
"I'm scared of how he's going to take getting on a bus," she said.
Kirkland said she wanted to swap places with her son during the standoff but wasn't allowed to. It wasn't clear in the promotional excerpt whether she made a formal offer to Dykes.
"I wanted to be there," said Kirkland.
Authorities have said they might never know why Dykes shot driver Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66, and took the boy off the bus on Jan. 29.
Dykes was due in court the day after the standoff began for a hearing on a menacing case filed in December. Neighbors say he fired a gun at them. Neighbors and acquaintances described Dykes as having strong feelings against the government.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.