'Coronation Street' actor on child sex charges
LONDON (AP) - Police have charged a longtime star of the British soap opera "Coronation Street" with child sex offenses including rape and indecent assault.
Michael Le Vell, who has played mechanic Kevin Webster on the show for 30 years, faces 19 charges. Police say the charges relate to offenses against a child between 2001 and 2010.
The actor released a statement Friday saying he would vigorously contest the charges.
"I will now put all my efforts into clearing my name and proving my innocence," he said.
He was originally arrested and questioned in 2011, but released without charge. Prosecutors said Friday they had overturned that decision.
The 48-year-old actor, whose real name is Michael Turner, is due in court Feb. 27.
The soap, set in a fictional working-class district in northwestern England, is one of the most popular programs on British television.
Broadcaster ITV said Le Vell would not appear in any episodes of "Coronation Street" pending the outcome of his trial.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.