Bob Barker urges NC senators to oppose possum bill
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Former game show host Bob Barker is telling North Carolina lawmakers that caging a live possum for a New Year's Eve event in the mountains isn't good show business.
Barker wrote this week to a state Senate committee's members asking them to oppose a bill that would let the organizer of the Brasstown "Possum Drop" keep suspending a possum in a box every Dec. 31 and lowering it gently to the ground.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals complained about the event. A judge ruled state regulators don't have explicit authority to permit the display. A House bill approved this week would change that.
Barker says the event is inhumane and that loopholes for animal abuse shouldn't be created.
PETA released the letter. The 89-year-old Barker is a longtime animal rights activist.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!