Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 3:24 pm
ASU basketball still relying heavily on starters
A quick glance at this week's Pac-12 basketball statistics shows that three Sun Devils rank among the top five in minutes played. Senior Carrick Felix has played more than anybody in the conference -- 38.3 minutes per game. Freshman Jahii Carson (37.8) ranks third and sophomore forward Jonathan Gilling (36.2) is fifth.
ASU head coach Herb Sendek is aware and concerned as his team enters the final stages of the 2012-13 regular season.
"It has been a concern here for a good while," Sendek told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "Even Evan Gordon isn't far behind, so we really have four guys who have played an awful lot of minutes and we try to factor that in as we go about our practice planning and our game management around our timeouts.
"It's who we are and I don't see it changing drastically between now and the end of the season."
To Sendek's point, Gordon averages 32.8 minutes per game and played 30 in his first game off the bench last Saturday in an overtime win over Colorado. Arizona State is the only team in the conference to have four players average over 32 minutes per game, but it's not something the team dwells on.
"We really don't make it a big topic of conversation," Sendek said. "We just go out and play."
The Sun Devils wrap up their home schedule with two crucial games this week. Washington State visits Tempe Wednesday night and Washington comes calling Saturday on Senior Night. Felix, Chris Colvin, Ruslan Pateev and Joey Hormes will be honored before the game against the Huskies.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.