Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 3:24 pm
ASU basketball still relying heavily on starters
A quick glance at this week's Pac-12 basketball statistics shows that three Sun Devils rank among the top five in minutes played. Senior Carrick Felix has played more than anybody in the conference -- 38.3 minutes per game. Freshman Jahii Carson (37.8) ranks third and sophomore forward Jonathan Gilling (36.2) is fifth.
ASU head coach Herb Sendek is aware and concerned as his team enters the final stages of the 2012-13 regular season.
"It has been a concern here for a good while," Sendek told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "Even Evan Gordon isn't far behind, so we really have four guys who have played an awful lot of minutes and we try to factor that in as we go about our practice planning and our game management around our timeouts.
"It's who we are and I don't see it changing drastically between now and the end of the season."
To Sendek's point, Gordon averages 32.8 minutes per game and played 30 in his first game off the bench last Saturday in an overtime win over Colorado. Arizona State is the only team in the conference to have four players average over 32 minutes per game, but it's not something the team dwells on.
"We really don't make it a big topic of conversation," Sendek said. "We just go out and play."
The Sun Devils wrap up their home schedule with two crucial games this week. Washington State visits Tempe Wednesday night and Washington comes calling Saturday on Senior Night. Felix, Chris Colvin, Ruslan Pateev and Joey Hormes will be honored before the game against the Huskies.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.