Star Wars fans feel the force at lightsaber class
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A group of San Francisco Star Wars fans who want to travel to a galaxy not that far away have created a combat choreography class for Jedis-in-training with their weapon of choice: the lightsaber.
At a recent class, Alain Bloch, the self-proclaimed Jedi Master at Golden Gate Knights, demonstrated a slicing technique. He has a background in martial arts and stage combat.
"Always be mindful of the presence!" he said, donning a Luke Skywalker outfit and a green lightsaber.
With Star Wars movie music coursing through the dance studio, his disciples clutch their neon-glowing lightsabers.
These self-proclaimed "Star Wars geeks" slice and parry as they follow Bloch's lead, and get a little exercise, too.
People in a recent class in the city's South of Market district, including a couple on a date, said they embraced their quirkiness and had even converted some of the skeptical into the "Jedi order."
"At first they giggle because they think it's a little silly. Then they're like, actually that's kind of cool," said Julio Reyes, a student. "Then they start asking more questions."
Not all Jedis-in-training are rooting for the good guys. Some came to embrace "the dark side of the force."
"I just love Vader, period," said the Darth Vader-clad student Gary Ripper. "Just his voice, the way he moved, the power of him. I just liked the powerfulness of him."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- ASU's Taylor Kelly lands on Davey O'Brien Award watch list
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?