Adele, `Les Miserables' cast sing on Oscar stage
LOS ANGELES (AP) - It was an extra starry, musical day at the Dolby Theatre.
Adele took the stage first Friday, followed by the cast of "Les Miserables," singing together of the first time.
Oscar nominees Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway, along with co-stars Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham-Carter, Sasha Baron-Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit and Samantha Barks rehearsed their performances on the Oscar stage. They were backed by members of the musical's stage productions from London and Broadway.
"Les Miserables" director Tom Hooper sat in the front row of the theater as his cast sang.
Moments earlier, Adele dazzled the tiny audience of show workers with her performance of the James Bond theme "Skyfall."
"I need a lot more reverb on me," she said after her first run. "You might need to get a new reverb machine."
The 24-year-old multiple Grammy winner arrived wearing a black tunic, black leggings and flats, with no makeup and her hair in a ponytail.
"I'm going to have very high heels on the night, guys," she announced from the microphone, sipping tea between verses.
"Do you need the dresses?" she asked, and a team of stylists brought out the gowns Adele is considering for her Oscar performance.
The dress producers favored? "It's very heavy- I mean I struggle to stand in it," Adele said. "Come and feel how heavy it is, so you don't think I'm a wimp!"
She performed her Oscar-nominated song five times before leaving the theater. "It's been good, yeah?" she asked producer Neil Meron, who nodded in approval.
Just after Adele wrapped, the star-studded "Les Miserables" cast took the stage. Hathaway chatted with Bonham-Carter as Jackman sang a capella. Then Hathaway checked her microphone with a quick verse.
"Ooh, that was flat," she said.
The entire cast assembled for a final run-through when Jackman spontaneously began singing "My Bonny Lies over the Ocean."
"My bonny lies over my daddy," the ensemble responded, breaking into laughter.
Other stars rehearsing Friday included Jennifer Hudson, who is set to perform a song from "Dreamgirls" at Sunday's ceremony.
AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen is on Twitter: www.twitter.com/APSandy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.