Hallmark Channel launches family movie showcase
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Hallmark Channel is making a new Friday night home for family movies.
The channel announced Wednesday that it will launch the showcase March 15 with the debut of "Return to Nim's Island," starring Bindi Irwin, the 14-year-old daughter of the late Steve Irwin, the Australian crocodile hunter who hosted a popular show on Animal Planet.
The film is a sequel to the 2008 action-adventure movie "Nim's Island." It will air as part of the new "Walden Family Theater" series, a Hallmark Channel collaboration with producer Walden Media, ARC Entertainment studio and sponsors Wal-Mart and Procter & Gamble, the channel said.
The team effort "allows us a unique opportunity to further revive the practice of families regularly gathering to enjoy television entertainment as a shared experience," said Bill Abbott, chief executive of Crown Media Family Networks, owner of Hallmark Channel.
The half-dozen original Friday night movies will include "Space Warriors," with Dermot Mulroney, Danny Glover, Josh Lucas, Mira Sorvino and Thomas Horn, set to air in May. The showcase also will include films from the Hallmark Channel library.
Walden Media's films include the "Narnia" franchise and "Amazing Grace."
Bindi, who appeared on TV with her father, has made a career of her own with series including "Bindi, the Jungle Girl" and "Bindi's Boot Camp." Steve Irwin died in 2006 after being injured by a stingray barb during underwater filming.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!