Updated Mar 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sun Devil football is speaking Rose Bowl
"I hear Rose Bowl in my sleep," said defensive lineman Jaxon Hood, who like Graham is entering his second year with the Sun Devils.
"Since I stepped foot on this campus, that's probably the most common word," Hood continued. "I haven't heard ‘Fear the Fork'. I haven't heard ‘Sparky'. I've heard Rose Bowls more than any other word on this campus. That's the truth. So, I don't remember when the first time we started talking about Rose Bowls because that's all we talk about and that's what we're about to go get."
ASU fell well short of the Rose Bowl a year ago.
The Sun Devils finished third in the Pac-12 South; and while, yes, that did earn them a trip to California, it was not Pasadena but rather San Francisco and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
"It's the 100th anniversary of the Rose Bowl. That's where the national championship game is at," Graham said. "(I) told (the players) I grew up watching the Rose Bowl on a 13-inch black and white TV in Dallas, Texas listening to Keith Jackson. The Granddaddy of them all. I said, ‘Every day, man, that's how we've got to work.' So, today, did we work harder than the other 11 teams in the league?"
The Sun Devils, practicing in pads for the first time Thursday, are working hard according to Hood.
"The main thing that's different from last year is everyone has got their eye on the prize," he said. "I think everyone in our program truly believes in winning every game. I think we still had some doubters last year on the team, ones that just didn't believe. But I think everyone in the program believes that this is ours for the taking. The only people who can beat us are ourselves."
Quarterback Taylor Kelly agreed. "I believe we can go to the Pac-12 Championship and win that and then see where that takes us."
The goal is the Rose Bowl, something the players are reminded about every day.
"Ten times a day. All day long," Kelly said. "We're seeing it on boards, in the hallways. It's always talked about. We break with it. It's just a goal that we're working towards. It's always good to visualize that and just keep talking about that."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Todd Graham on ASU's first day of practice: 'We couldn't have been any better'
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.