FX network to start a younger-skewing channel, FXX
NEW YORK (AP) - FX is spinning off a new cable network aimed at young adult viewers.
Launching Sept. 2, FXX will join big brother FX along with the movie-oriented FXM. All three networks will share the same sensibility, FX Networks president John Landgraf said in making the announcement Thursday. It's a mindset summed up by the brand's new tagline, "Fearless."
"All told, the three networks will air 25 original series in the next few years," he added, calling that figure comparable to any of the major broadcast networks.
The lineup for FXX will consist of original series, movies and acquired series targeting adults 18 to 34, a slightly younger demographic than the 18-to-49 audience FX attracts, Landgraf said. FXX will initially be available in 74 million TV homes.
The new channel will be anchored by the comedies "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "The League," two veteran series that until now have originated on FX. In addition, "Legit" will move to FXX, as well as the FX late-night series "Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell," which will expand to a five-nights-per-week schedule.
Coming to FX this July is a new drama series titled "The Bridge." Starring Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger, it centers on two detectives hunting down a killer operating on both sides of the U.S.-Mexican border.
The pilot for another future series, "Tyrant," will be directed this summer by two-time Oscar winner Ang Lee.
And FX's first limited series will be "Fargo," inspired by the acclaimed 1996 film of the same name. This 10-episode drama, which will tell an all-new story, will be executive-produced by the film's creators, Joel and Ethan Coen.
In another announcement, the company said that, this fall, FX Networks will launch its FXNOW app, allowing cable and satellite subscribers to access programming from the FX suite of channels.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Todd Graham on ASU's first day of practice: 'We couldn't have been any better'
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.