January Jones: Fashion criticism 'makes me laugh'
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - AMC's "Mad Men" drama may garner attention for bringing back `60s glamour, but January Jones, known for her daring red carpet looks, says she doesn't care what critics think of her personal style.
"I think that fashion is an art," the 35-year-old actress, who has topped many best- and worst-dressed lists, said in a recent interview. "It's a fun way to express yourself. ... And I sort of like not pleasing people a bit."
Take, for example, the Prabal Gurung gown she wore to this year's Screen Actors Guild Awards. Critics both praised and criticized the bold black-and-white structured ensemble.
"It makes me laugh when the `Fashion Police' hate what I wear," Jones said. "I loved my whole look that night. It was really fun. And I just like people looking at me like I was crazy."
Another daring style that left critics divided: her dramatic 2012 Emmys look. Jones made a statement with a severe slicked-back hairdo, smoky cat eyes and a semisheer black organza number by Zac Posen.
Jones returns as steely housewife Betty Francis, ex-wife of Madison Avenue adman Don Draper, when the new season of "Mad Men" premieres Sunday (9 p.m. EDT).
And whether you love or hate her fashion choices, Jones welcomes the attention.
"That's good, I embrace it," she said of being considered a style icon. "I love fashion so much, and I keep trying to push the envelope and keep doing things that are fun for me, different."
Follow Nicole Evatt at http://twitter.com/NicoleEvatt
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!