ASU's Will Sutton honored to wear PT42 jersey
Now, Will Sutton is the second.
"He's earned (it)," head coach Todd Graham said Thursday. "I see a huge difference in him this spring."
The PT42 practice jersey was presented to Sutton during a team meeting prior to practice.
"This is not going to be some fluff deal," Graham said. "I said, ‘Will has earned this jersey. The key to our success is that he keeps it.' We challenged him with that."
Sutton, named the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year last season, understands the significance of wearing PT42.
"It's an honor because (Tillman is) somebody who did a lot for this university and for our country at the same time. It means a lot.
"Doing everything right," Sutton continued on why he is just the second player to wear the jersey in practice. "Coming out, working real hard and doing everything off the field also. I worked kind of hard this spring, getting good grades and on the field doing everything right."
Sutton did just about everything right his junior year, leading the team in tackles for a loss (23.5) and sacks (13) in becoming ASU's 18th Consensus All-American.
He prefers to lead by example.
"They want me to be a little more vocal," he said. "I'm working on it, trying to see how it is. It's a little uncomfortable."
Graham said it's up to Sutton how long he'll continue to wear PT42.
"You've got to earn it. You've got to bring it every day," Graham said. "I'm telling you, (Sutton has) been bringing it every day. He's coaching the other guys. He's telling guys this is not acceptable. He didn't do that last year. He was a great player last year but he didn't do all those things."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.