Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 1:02 pm
ESPN's May: They're Notre Dame, you're ASU
So Notre Dame dumped you ASU face the facts there Kate Upton and your not— Mark May (@mark_may) April 11, 2013
May was, albeit in broken english, commenting on the report that Notre Dame is dropping a visit to Tempe from its 2014 schedule.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday, May explained his thoughts in more depth.
"In that situation, wouldn't you want to kind of take the high road," May said, questioning Arizona State athletic director Steve Patterson. Patterson, through the media, has essentially called out Notre Dame for the ordeal.
May said ASU could look at the situation and realize Notre Dame is still going to pay them good money, and the Sun Devils can fill that spot in their schedule with someone else.
"They made a mistake in scheduling," May continued. "They will probably send Arizona State a nice, big check. Arizona State is going to play them this season at a neutral site."
The Devils are set to travel to Arlington, Texas to battle the Fighting Irish on October 5 at Cowboys Stadium. However, this game was supposed to be part of a three-game series between the schools, with the neutral site game followed by one in Tempe in 2014 and another in South Bend in 2017.
But Notre Dame, which is moving into the ACC, has to rearrange its schedule to accommodate the new conference. So, they're trying to chop ASU off their docket, which is understandably not something Sun Devil faithful are pleased with.
But May, who said this happens fairly often in college football, disagrees with how Patterson and ASU have dealt with the issue.
"You pick up the phone, you scream at [Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick], you work it out, you hammer it out, and you say 'so we're not going to do it in 2014 Jack, when are you coming here?'"
In fact, May said said the Sun Devils need to acknowledge the situation for what it is.
"They are Notre Dame, you're ASU, face the facts," he said. "As far as history goes and prestige goes and where programs are aligned, Notre Dame's in the top three of all-time.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!