Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 3:01 pm
ASU coach Graham: Kelly, Sutton helping to fill leadership void
Then he went out and passed for 3,039 yards and 29 touchdowns, led the team to a win in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and, well, things have certainly changed.
Now, ASU head coach Todd Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Kelly is not only the quarterback, but the team's leader on offense, too.
"He's got a year under his belt now," Graham said. "Just the way the whole team looks at him now is different than it was when he was last spring when -- this time, last spring he was third-team quarterback -- so obviously the leadership and the direction that the team is, obviously we've got a quarterback and the team looks to him for that leadership."
Graham added that senior defensive lineman Will Sutton is the one people look to on defense.
"Will was a great player last year," Graham accurately stated. "He was defensive player of the year, a consensus All-American, but he just played. I wouldn't categorize him as a leader."
But as is the case with Kelly, it's amazing the kind of difference one year can make.
"He has taken that leadership role, and we've challenged him with that," Graham said. "We've challenged him, that we're going to coach him harder than anybody else on the team, that he's the best player on defense and we've got to set the standard with him."
Graham pointed to the "PT42" jerseys, which are given to players who exemplify all the coaching staff is looking for in a given player. Four players donned one Thursday, though Sutton is leading the way.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.