Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 3:01 pm
ASU coach Graham: Kelly, Sutton helping to fill leadership void
Then he went out and passed for 3,039 yards and 29 touchdowns, led the team to a win in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and, well, things have certainly changed.
Now, ASU head coach Todd Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Kelly is not only the quarterback, but the team's leader on offense, too.
"He's got a year under his belt now," Graham said. "Just the way the whole team looks at him now is different than it was when he was last spring when -- this time, last spring he was third-team quarterback -- so obviously the leadership and the direction that the team is, obviously we've got a quarterback and the team looks to him for that leadership."
Graham added that senior defensive lineman Will Sutton is the one people look to on defense.
"Will was a great player last year," Graham accurately stated. "He was defensive player of the year, a consensus All-American, but he just played. I wouldn't categorize him as a leader."
But as is the case with Kelly, it's amazing the kind of difference one year can make.
"He has taken that leadership role, and we've challenged him with that," Graham said. "We've challenged him, that we're going to coach him harder than anybody else on the team, that he's the best player on defense and we've got to set the standard with him."
Graham pointed to the "PT42" jerseys, which are given to players who exemplify all the coaching staff is looking for in a given player. Four players donned one Thursday, though Sutton is leading the way.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition