Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 3:01 pm
ASU coach Graham: Kelly, Sutton helping to fill leadership void
Then he went out and passed for 3,039 yards and 29 touchdowns, led the team to a win in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and, well, things have certainly changed.
Now, ASU head coach Todd Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Kelly is not only the quarterback, but the team's leader on offense, too.
"He's got a year under his belt now," Graham said. "Just the way the whole team looks at him now is different than it was when he was last spring when -- this time, last spring he was third-team quarterback -- so obviously the leadership and the direction that the team is, obviously we've got a quarterback and the team looks to him for that leadership."
Graham added that senior defensive lineman Will Sutton is the one people look to on defense.
"Will was a great player last year," Graham accurately stated. "He was defensive player of the year, a consensus All-American, but he just played. I wouldn't categorize him as a leader."
But as is the case with Kelly, it's amazing the kind of difference one year can make.
"He has taken that leadership role, and we've challenged him with that," Graham said. "We've challenged him, that we're going to coach him harder than anybody else on the team, that he's the best player on defense and we've got to set the standard with him."
Graham pointed to the "PT42" jerseys, which are given to players who exemplify all the coaching staff is looking for in a given player. Four players donned one Thursday, though Sutton is leading the way.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?