Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 3:01 pm
ASU coach Graham: Kelly, Sutton helping to fill leadership void
Then he went out and passed for 3,039 yards and 29 touchdowns, led the team to a win in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and, well, things have certainly changed.
Now, ASU head coach Todd Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Kelly is not only the quarterback, but the team's leader on offense, too.
"He's got a year under his belt now," Graham said. "Just the way the whole team looks at him now is different than it was when he was last spring when -- this time, last spring he was third-team quarterback -- so obviously the leadership and the direction that the team is, obviously we've got a quarterback and the team looks to him for that leadership."
Graham added that senior defensive lineman Will Sutton is the one people look to on defense.
"Will was a great player last year," Graham accurately stated. "He was defensive player of the year, a consensus All-American, but he just played. I wouldn't categorize him as a leader."
But as is the case with Kelly, it's amazing the kind of difference one year can make.
"He has taken that leadership role, and we've challenged him with that," Graham said. "We've challenged him, that we're going to coach him harder than anybody else on the team, that he's the best player on defense and we've got to set the standard with him."
Graham pointed to the "PT42" jerseys, which are given to players who exemplify all the coaching staff is looking for in a given player. Four players donned one Thursday, though Sutton is leading the way.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.