Ohio zoo's baby monkey named for CBS TV character
POWELL, Ohio (AP) - The Columbus Zoo's recent additions include a monkey named after a quirky scientist character on the CBS comedy "The Big Bang Theory."
The colobus monkey named Dr. Sheldon Cooper was born March 3. A spokeswoman says zoo staff pick names based on themes, and they made the TV show the latest one because they're fans.
She says keepers joke it's too soon to tell whether the monkey will live up to his namesake's brilliance.
It was the first of four recent births for the zoo's African forest exhibits.
Two red river hogs were born April 12. The month began with the birth of a black duiker (DEYE'-kur), which is a four-legged, forest-dwelling animal. It is part of the antelope family and is found in parts of Africa.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.