Updated Jun 4, 2013 - 9:26 pm
ASU AD: Notre Dame would rather play Rice or Temple
However, that issue is not yet officially settled, meaning there is still some negotiating to be done and some conversations to be had between the schools.
"Talking to them as recently as two hours ago, we're still in discussions," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday afternoon.
What, exactly, is being discussed is not entirely clear. Notre Dame, having moved to the ACC, is trying to free up a spot on the schedule to take on another conference foe. However, ASU is not exactly pleased with the idea of seeing one of the biggest draws on its 2014 schedule bail so late in the process. Notre Dame, who Arizona State will play on October 5 of this year in Cowboys Stadium, was in the 2012 BCS Championship Game and would provide a big early-season matchup for coach Todd Graham and the Sun Devils.
"I think they're excited about their new TV contract with the ACC, so they think it's probably not as beneficial to come to Tempe and take on Todd's team," Patterson said. "I think they've got a football coach who would prefer to play Rice and Temple.
"But we'll keep talking and see where we can get."
Rice, who is a member of Conference USA, went 7-6, whereas Temple, as part of the Big East, finished with a 4-7 mark.
The Devils, on the other hand, finished 2012 with an 8-5 record and appear to be on the upswing as a program.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!