Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 10:32 am
Phil Steele: ASU could be primed for big season
Guess that's what happens when you, following an 8-5 campaign, return with your starting quarterback, a stable of excellent running backs and one of the best defenses in the conference.
Entering Todd Graham's second season as head coach, ESPN NCAA football expert Phil Steele (in an ESPN Insider piece) says the Devils are one of 10 teams that could be a big surprise in 2013.
Second-year head coaches have had great success in the BCS era. In 2000, Bob Stoops shockingly won the title after a five-loss season. Two years later, under head coach Jim Tressel, Ohio State was a surprise national title winner after a five-loss season in his first year. Urban Meyer, in his second year at Florida, took home a national title in 2006, and Gene Chizik (in his second year) won the title in 2010 after going 8-5 his first year at Auburn.
I will admit I really had the Sun Devils about eighth or ninth on my list, but they were the highest rated of the teams with a second-year head coach in Todd Graham (coming off an 8-5 season), and I wanted to keep with tradition. They do have my No. 4 set of running backs in the country as well as my No. 4 defensive line. While the Sun Devils have to play UCLA and Stanford on the road -- and Notre Dame at a neutral site -- they get USC and Wisconsin at home and could end up with only their third double-digit-win season in the past 25 years.
True, ASU's schedule looks to e one of the more difficult ones in the country. We'll know a lot about the team and its chances by the time the calendar turns to October, and if the Devils can survive their early gauntlet they may yet have a shot at a special season.
The season kicks off on September 5 with a home game against Sacramento State.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.