Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Arizona State, Notre Dame reach deal to play each other in 2014
ASU athletic director Steve Patterson said in a statement that the schools were able to come to an agreement that will keep the game on the schedule after months of reports saying the Fighting Irish were looking to back out of the contest.
"We're pleased that Notre Dame was able to resolve its scheduling issues in a way that allows it to play at Sun Devil Stadium in 2014," Patterson said in a statement. "The game will now be played on Nov. 8, 2014. Our entire Sun Devil family—season ticket holders, fans, students, alumni—and our entire community here in the Valley have been looking forward to playing Notre Dame in Tempe since the original agreement was signed in 2008."
As part of the new agreement, the schools' scheduled meeting in 2017, which was to take place in South Bend, will not take place.
"While the game at Notre Dame in 2017 has been canceled, what is most important to us is that the game in Tempe has been saved," Patterson said.
The teams will meet this season on October 5 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition