Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Arizona State, Notre Dame reach deal to play each other in 2014
ASU athletic director Steve Patterson said in a statement that the schools were able to come to an agreement that will keep the game on the schedule after months of reports saying the Fighting Irish were looking to back out of the contest.
"We're pleased that Notre Dame was able to resolve its scheduling issues in a way that allows it to play at Sun Devil Stadium in 2014," Patterson said in a statement. "The game will now be played on Nov. 8, 2014. Our entire Sun Devil family—season ticket holders, fans, students, alumni—and our entire community here in the Valley have been looking forward to playing Notre Dame in Tempe since the original agreement was signed in 2008."
As part of the new agreement, the schools' scheduled meeting in 2017, which was to take place in South Bend, will not take place.
"While the game at Notre Dame in 2017 has been canceled, what is most important to us is that the game in Tempe has been saved," Patterson said.
The teams will meet this season on October 5 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham on ASU's first day of practice: 'We couldn't have been any better'
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.