Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Arizona State, Notre Dame reach deal to play each other in 2014
ASU athletic director Steve Patterson said in a statement that the schools were able to come to an agreement that will keep the game on the schedule after months of reports saying the Fighting Irish were looking to back out of the contest.
"We're pleased that Notre Dame was able to resolve its scheduling issues in a way that allows it to play at Sun Devil Stadium in 2014," Patterson said in a statement. "The game will now be played on Nov. 8, 2014. Our entire Sun Devil family—season ticket holders, fans, students, alumni—and our entire community here in the Valley have been looking forward to playing Notre Dame in Tempe since the original agreement was signed in 2008."
As part of the new agreement, the schools' scheduled meeting in 2017, which was to take place in South Bend, will not take place.
"While the game at Notre Dame in 2017 has been canceled, what is most important to us is that the game in Tempe has been saved," Patterson said.
The teams will meet this season on October 5 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.