Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Arizona State, Notre Dame reach deal to play each other in 2014
ASU athletic director Steve Patterson said in a statement that the schools were able to come to an agreement that will keep the game on the schedule after months of reports saying the Fighting Irish were looking to back out of the contest.
"We're pleased that Notre Dame was able to resolve its scheduling issues in a way that allows it to play at Sun Devil Stadium in 2014," Patterson said in a statement. "The game will now be played on Nov. 8, 2014. Our entire Sun Devil family—season ticket holders, fans, students, alumni—and our entire community here in the Valley have been looking forward to playing Notre Dame in Tempe since the original agreement was signed in 2008."
As part of the new agreement, the schools' scheduled meeting in 2017, which was to take place in South Bend, will not take place.
"While the game at Notre Dame in 2017 has been canceled, what is most important to us is that the game in Tempe has been saved," Patterson said.
The teams will meet this season on October 5 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Less than 5,000 tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Football Color Analyst - Friday December 6Is this the biggest game in ASU football history?
- Rocky Harris, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6What will be the economic impact of ASU's success?
- Todd Graham, Head Coach ASU Football - Friday December 6Todd Graham talks to Doug and Wolf about the Pac-12 Championship Game.
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel