CBS ends national broadcast of July 4 Pops concert
BOSTON (AP) - For the first time in more than 20 years, the July 4 Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular will not be televised nationally.
The Boston Globe reports ( http://b.globe.com/12OrqO8) that CBS declined to renew a contract with producers of the show, which will appear locally on WBZ-TV.
The show's executive producer, David Mugar, says ratings for the Independence Day event have fallen in recent years.
The Boston Pops concert and fireworks show draw more than 500,000 visitors to the Charles River Esplanade, free of charge.
The show has featured stars such as Jennifer Hudson and Martina McBride. This year, it will have a more local focus, headlining Massachusetts native and blues singer Susan Tedeschi and Ayla Brown, the daughter of former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.boston.com/globe
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.