CBS ends national broadcast of July 4 Pops concert
BOSTON (AP) - For the first time in more than 20 years, the July 4 Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular will not be televised nationally.
The Boston Globe reports ( http://b.globe.com/12OrqO8) that CBS declined to renew a contract with producers of the show, which will appear locally on WBZ-TV.
The show's executive producer, David Mugar, says ratings for the Independence Day event have fallen in recent years.
The Boston Pops concert and fireworks show draw more than 500,000 visitors to the Charles River Esplanade, free of charge.
The show has featured stars such as Jennifer Hudson and Martina McBride. This year, it will have a more local focus, headlining Massachusetts native and blues singer Susan Tedeschi and Ayla Brown, the daughter of former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.boston.com/globe
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Todd Graham on ASU's first day of practice: 'We couldn't have been any better'
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.