'Curb' actor Jeff Garlin won't face charges in LA
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Prosecutors won't be filing charges of vandalism against "Curb Your Enthusiasm" actor Jeff Garlin after he was accused of smashing a car window in a dispute over a parking space.
Instead, the 51-year-old will receive a hearing at the Los Angeles city attorney's office where he will be advised about the law and how to avoid such incidents.
Frank Mateljan, spokesman for the city attorney, said Monday that Garlin's alleged actions did not reach the threshold for a criminal filing. Office hearings are frequently used in such cases to avoid a full-blown criminal case.
"We examined the facts and determined an office hearing is most appropriate in this circumstance," Mateljan said.
According to a police report, the dispute occurred in the parking lot of a Studio City CVS drugstore. Garlin was arguing with the driver of a Mercedes and allegedly broke the driver's side window of her car with his bare hand.
He was arrested Saturday.
Mateljan said the woman whose car was damaged has the option of suing Garland in civil court for damages.
Garlin played Larry David's friend and manager on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and was the show's co-executive producer. He has also appeared frequently on "Arrested Development" and other television shows.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.