Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:31 am
ASU coach Graham: Our players are excited for tough schedule
Following the home opener against Sacramento State, the Devils will host Wisconsin, travel to play Stanford, come back home to face USC and then head to Texas to take on Notre Dame in a neutral site contest.
It's a brutal stretch, but also one that, should the team survive, could set them up for a big season.
"Obviously that's not something that every year you'd want that kind of schedule, especially those first five ball games, but we're excited about it," ASU head coach Todd Graham told Sirius XM's College Sports Coast to Coast show "Obviously I've got a great belief in our football team and I really believe this team has an opportunity to compete for a Pac-12 championship so we're excited about the opportunity."
In fact, Graham said his players' want to play in big games, so they actually look forward to matchups like the ones ahead of them.
"Our philosophy is every year we want to have a marquee game," Graham said, noting how this year's slate features more than one. "I think our players want to play in those kind of games so I think they're excited about it.
"I can tell how our guys have prepared and how hard they're working this summer and this spring. They understand the challenge ahead of them."
Graham added his players seem to understand just how good they'll have to play to make it through that stretch with a good amount of success.
2013 Arizona State Football Schedule
|September 5||vs. Sacramento State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:00 p.m|
|September 14||vs. Wisconsin||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:30 p.m.|
|September 21||at Stanford||Stanford Stadium - Palo Alto, CA||TBA|
|September 28||vs. USC||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 5||vs. Notre Dame||Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX||4:30 p.m|
|October 12||vs. Colorado||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 19||vs. Washington||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 31||at Washington State||Martin Stadium - Pullman, WA||7:30 p.m.|
|November 9||at Utah||Rice-Eccles Stadium - SLC, UT||TBA|
|November 16||vs. Oregon State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|November 23||at UCLA||Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA||TBA|
|November 30||vs. Arizona||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- ASU defense ready for the challenge presented by Stanford's power running game
- ESPN Radio College GameDay to be in Tempe
- Former ASU star Jake Plummer sees himself in Taylor Kelly
- Special teams key for ASU against Stanford in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.