Fashion blogger sues BET over attire clash
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A transgendered style correspondent who says BET made him tone down his feminine look on the network's pre-awards show last month has filed a lawsuit against the network's parent company for discrimination, wrongful termination and emotional distress.
B. Scott, who was born Brandon Sessoms, is seeking $2.5 million in damages from BET parent company Viacom after he said he was told to change his outfit at last month's BET Awards to a more conservative suit, tie his long hair back in a ponytail and not wear heels. The fashion blogger said that even after he changed, he was replaced by another correspondent.
"Let's be clear- I'm suing BET and Viacom for a true public apology and to be fairly remunerated for the time lost, humiliation and emotional distress this entire situation has put me through," he said in a statement.
BET called the incident a "misunderstanding" and said it regretted any "unintentional offense" in a statement last month.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in in Los Angeles Superior Court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.