Judge: Abercrombie shirt not 'Situation' violation
MIAMI (AP) - A federal judge in Florida says Abercrombie & Fitch Co. didn't violate trademark rules by producing a shirt playing on the nickname of Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino of TV's "Jersey Shore."
Sorrentino's company sued the clothing company in 2011 over its shirt containing the phrase "The Fitchuation." Sorrentino claimed that amounted to trademark infringement and other violations of his nickname, which is based on his abdominal muscles.
But U.S. Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan recently ruled for Abercrombie and tossed the case. O'Sullivan concluded that the company marketed the shirt as a parody and that Sorrentino's company didn't start selling its own shirt until later. And the judge found the products are not the same and thus can't confuse consumers.
"Jersey Shore" ran on MTV for six seasons, ending last December.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.