Alden Darby lands spot on Jim Thorpe Award Preseason Watch List
The Thorpe Award is presented annually to the nation's top college football defensive back.
Darby, a senior from Long Beach, Calif., finished fifth on the team with 80 total tackles in 2012 and also registered 5.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, three interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
He also became the first player in the ASU football program to don the "PT42" practice jersey in 2012. The jersey is a tribute to the memory of Pat Tillman, the former Sun Devil who was killed while serving in the United States Army in Afghanistan in 2004.
Seven other players from the Pac-12 are on the list: Dion Bailey of USC, Deone Bucannon of Washington State, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu and Terrance Mitchell of Oregon, Ed Reynolds and Jordan Richards of Stanford and Oregon State's Rashaad Reynolds.
Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State was the 2012 recipient of the award, which will be presented during The Home Depot College Football Awards Show December 12, 2013 on ESPN.
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.