Updated Jul 13, 2013 - 12:29 pm
'Sharknado' makes a splash in social media, but not with viewers
Syfy's latest made-for-television movie, "Sharknado," lit up social media Thursday -- and even carried over the buzz through Friday -- but debuted to a modest-sized audience with its first showing.
According to USA Today, the Syfy flick -- starring Ian Ziering and Tara Reid -- was the channel's "most social" program ever. The hashtag "#Sharknado" was still a trending Twitter topic more than 24 hours after the movie first aired.
But that didn't translate to Nielsen ratings. Only 1.4 million viewers watched the movie, a typical audience for the channel's cheese-fests, proving yet again that Twitter can be an echo chamber among a few cheering loudly.
If a high volume of tweets and Facebook posts about a program equates to its being TV ratings giant, "Sharknado" put several holes through that theory.
If you weren't bitten by "Sharknado" fever the first time around, another opportunity is swimming straight your way, and you can thank Twitter for it.
USA Today says Syfy will show a repeat of the movie -- which is about sharks being swept up by a tornado and proceeding to wreak havoc on Los Angeles -- next Thursday, encouraged in large part by social media demand.
Here is a trailer for the film:
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.