Last season opener of AMC's 'Breaking Bad' big hit
NEW YORK (AP) - The return of "Breaking Bad" for the start of its final eight episodes on Sunday reached nearly double the biggest audience the show had ever had for an episode.
The Nielsen ratings company said Monday that 5.9 million people watched Sunday's episode, which featured a gripping confrontation between star Bryan Cranston's Walter White character and the brother-in-law who had suddenly realized White was the drug kingpin he had been searching for. The Emmy Award-winning series, which began in 2008 on AMC, ends in September.
The largest previous audience for a "Breaking Bad" episode was just under 3 million last August.
"Breaking Bad" has grown steadily through the help of word of mouth and critical acclaim. It averaged 1.2 million viewers per episode for its first season and nearly 2.6 million for its most recent season.
Sunday's ratings also are dramatic evidence of how a critically acclaimed show grows its fan base during a hiatus through people who check it out on DVDs or video on demand.
AMC's new series "Low Winter Sun," with the help of a strong lead-in from "Breaking Bad," was seen by 2.5 million people for its debut Sunday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!