Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 10:39 am
Sun Devil legend Wilford 'Whizzer' White passes away
White played from 1947-50 for the Sun Devils and was the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,173 yards when he graduated. He was an inductee to the ASU Sports Hall of Fame and the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 33 retired by the school.
White had an All-American season in 1950, running for 1,502 yards and and leading the team to its first ever nine-win season. His 150.2 rushing yards per game and 22 touchdowns that season have yet to be topped by any Sun Devil.
He recorded 327 career points, the most of any Sun Devils position player in history, and his 48 career touchdowns are tied for second-highest. White also returned punts and played defense -- holding the record for career punt return average and collecting eight career interceptions, returning three of those for touchdowns.
"Whizzer embodied all of the attributes of the Sun Devil Way that we teach our players," head football coach Todd Graham said in a press release. "The mark he left on this program will always echo through Sun Devil Stadium."
White was born in Mesa, Ariz. on Sept. 26, 1928, and attended Mesa High School. After finishing his career at ASU, he was drafted in the third round of the 1951 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
His son, Danny, was a quarterback for the Sun Devils from 1971-75 and left ASU as its all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns. Danny went on to play 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997. Danny joined his father in the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 11 being retired by the school and taken out of use.
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.