Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 10:39 am
Sun Devil legend Wilford 'Whizzer' White passes away
White played from 1947-50 for the Sun Devils and was the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,173 yards when he graduated. He was an inductee to the ASU Sports Hall of Fame and the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 33 retired by the school.
White had an All-American season in 1950, running for 1,502 yards and and leading the team to its first ever nine-win season. His 150.2 rushing yards per game and 22 touchdowns that season have yet to be topped by any Sun Devil.
He recorded 327 career points, the most of any Sun Devils position player in history, and his 48 career touchdowns are tied for second-highest. White also returned punts and played defense -- holding the record for career punt return average and collecting eight career interceptions, returning three of those for touchdowns.
"Whizzer embodied all of the attributes of the Sun Devil Way that we teach our players," head football coach Todd Graham said in a press release. "The mark he left on this program will always echo through Sun Devil Stadium."
White was born in Mesa, Ariz. on Sept. 26, 1928, and attended Mesa High School. After finishing his career at ASU, he was drafted in the third round of the 1951 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
His son, Danny, was a quarterback for the Sun Devils from 1971-75 and left ASU as its all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns. Danny went on to play 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997. Danny joined his father in the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 11 being retired by the school and taken out of use.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.