Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 10:39 am
Sun Devil legend Wilford 'Whizzer' White passes away
White played from 1947-50 for the Sun Devils and was the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,173 yards when he graduated. He was an inductee to the ASU Sports Hall of Fame and the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 33 retired by the school.
White had an All-American season in 1950, running for 1,502 yards and and leading the team to its first ever nine-win season. His 150.2 rushing yards per game and 22 touchdowns that season have yet to be topped by any Sun Devil.
He recorded 327 career points, the most of any Sun Devils position player in history, and his 48 career touchdowns are tied for second-highest. White also returned punts and played defense -- holding the record for career punt return average and collecting eight career interceptions, returning three of those for touchdowns.
"Whizzer embodied all of the attributes of the Sun Devil Way that we teach our players," head football coach Todd Graham said in a press release. "The mark he left on this program will always echo through Sun Devil Stadium."
White was born in Mesa, Ariz. on Sept. 26, 1928, and attended Mesa High School. After finishing his career at ASU, he was drafted in the third round of the 1951 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears.
His son, Danny, was a quarterback for the Sun Devils from 1971-75 and left ASU as its all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns. Danny went on to play 13 seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1997. Danny joined his father in the Sun Devil Ring of Honor, his No. 11 being retired by the school and taken out of use.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!