Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 1:43 pm
Arizona State QB Taylor Kelly named to preseason watch list
The award is sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. From the Sugar Bowl's website:
Prior to the 2004 college football season, the Manning Award was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only college football quarterback award that includes the candidates' bowl performances in its balloting; therefore, it is presented annually following the completion of the bowl season. The winner is selected by a panel of national media covering college football, as well as each of the Mannings.
Previous winners of The Manning Award include Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow and Robert Griffin III.
The watch list used a new ESPN ratings tool to determine its finalists. ESPN released a Total Quarterback Rating (QBR) for the top 30 QBs returning to the NCAA. Total QBR measures a quarterback's contributions on each play, such as passing, rushing and fumbles, while accounting for game elements such as the down, distance, yard line and score. The rating is based on a 0-100 scale, with 50 being average.
Kelly's QBR last season was 65.7, third-highest in the Pac 12, according to ESPN. He placed in the top 25 on ESPN's list.
Kelly is one of nine Sun Devils who have earned a spot on a preseason watch list this summer. Kelly has also been named to watch lists for the O'Brien Award and the Maxwell Award.
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.