Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 1:43 pm
Arizona State QB Taylor Kelly named to preseason watch list
The award is sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. From the Sugar Bowl's website:
Prior to the 2004 college football season, the Manning Award was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only college football quarterback award that includes the candidates' bowl performances in its balloting; therefore, it is presented annually following the completion of the bowl season. The winner is selected by a panel of national media covering college football, as well as each of the Mannings.
Previous winners of The Manning Award include Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow and Robert Griffin III.
The watch list used a new ESPN ratings tool to determine its finalists. ESPN released a Total Quarterback Rating (QBR) for the top 30 QBs returning to the NCAA. Total QBR measures a quarterback's contributions on each play, such as passing, rushing and fumbles, while accounting for game elements such as the down, distance, yard line and score. The rating is based on a 0-100 scale, with 50 being average.
Kelly's QBR last season was 65.7, third-highest in the Pac 12, according to ESPN. He placed in the top 25 on ESPN's list.
Kelly is one of nine Sun Devils who have earned a spot on a preseason watch list this summer. Kelly has also been named to watch lists for the O'Brien Award and the Maxwell Award.
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.