Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 1:43 pm
Arizona State QB Taylor Kelly named to preseason watch list
The award is sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. From the Sugar Bowl's website:
Prior to the 2004 college football season, the Manning Award was created by the Allstate Sugar Bowl in honor of the college football accomplishments of Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning. It is the only college football quarterback award that includes the candidates' bowl performances in its balloting; therefore, it is presented annually following the completion of the bowl season. The winner is selected by a panel of national media covering college football, as well as each of the Mannings.
Previous winners of The Manning Award include Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow and Robert Griffin III.
The watch list used a new ESPN ratings tool to determine its finalists. ESPN released a Total Quarterback Rating (QBR) for the top 30 QBs returning to the NCAA. Total QBR measures a quarterback's contributions on each play, such as passing, rushing and fumbles, while accounting for game elements such as the down, distance, yard line and score. The rating is based on a 0-100 scale, with 50 being average.
Kelly's QBR last season was 65.7, third-highest in the Pac 12, according to ESPN. He placed in the top 25 on ESPN's list.
Kelly is one of nine Sun Devils who have earned a spot on a preseason watch list this summer. Kelly has also been named to watch lists for the O'Brien Award and the Maxwell Award.
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.