Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 4:23 pm
ESPN Insider: ASU football 'underrated' in coaches' poll
However, ESPN analyst Travis Haney, in an Insider piece, listed the Sun Devils as one of the underrated programs to look out for in 2013.
Not ranking Arizona State might have been a bigger mistake than not ranking Miami. The coaches must have missed the end of Todd Graham's first year in which the Sun Devils blistered Washington State, upset rival Arizona on the road and put up 62 points on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
Haney also praises ASU's defensive front -- anchored by Will Sutton, Marcus Hardison and Carl Bradford -- saying those three "make up quite possibly the top D-line in the Pac-12."
Haney says coaches shouldn't be surprised if the program makes its way into national rankings during the year.
The difficulty of the schedule could keep the Sun Devils shuffling up and down the polls, but there are also big non-conference opportunities such as Wisconsin and Notre Dame. A lot of coaches I've talked to said they wouldn't blink if Arizona State represented the South in the Pac-12 title game.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.