Conn. boy: I was cheated over 'Jeopardy!' spelling
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut eighth-grader who misspelled the correct answer to a "Jeopardy!" question and lost money over it says he was cheated.
Thomas Hurley III correctly answered the Final Jeopardy question about the Emancipation Proclamation signed by President Abraham Lincoln. But Thomas spelled it "emanciptation" and was ruled out by host Alex Trebek.
He bet $3,000 of his $9,600 in winnings and finished well behind a rival who amassed $66,600.
"I was pretty upset that I was cheated out of the final `Jeopardy!' question," he told The News-Times of Danbury ( http://bit.ly/13KTg7D). "It was just a spelling error."
The Newtown Middle School student won $2,000 as the runner-up.
In an email, producers of Jeopardy! defended Trebek's decision.
"If `Jeopardy!' were to give credit for an incorrect response (however minor), the show would effectively penalize the other players," they said. "We love presenting young people as contestants on our show and make every effort to be fair and consistent in their treatment."
Hurley's mother, Suzanne, said her son was "a little stunned" by the loss.
"He felt embarrassed," she said. "It was hard to watch."
Hundreds vented their anger at "Jeopardy!" and Trebek on the game show's Facebook page.
"Bad form, Jeopardy," said one comment. "Every game show has bad calls ... this takes the cake."
The Kids Jeopardy! program was filmed in February and broadcast last week.
Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!