Arizona State heralded as team with 'BCS sleeper potential'
A Sports Illustrated writer, Zac Ellis, has joined in proclaiming that the Sun Devils could surprise people this year. Ellis takes a look at the teams that didn't get ranked in the preseason coaches' poll, and he lists ASU as one of his "five teams with BCS sleeper potential."
The Sun Devils didn't stand out in a fast-improving Pac-12 last season, but Todd Graham's program could be poised to make national headlines this fall. Fourteen starters return across the roster, none more noteworthy than defensive tackle Will Sutton, who recorded 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in 2012. Sutton is one of the country's premier defensive linemen, and he'll anchor a unit that finished second in the conference in total defense last year.
Ellis also praises the Sun Devils' offense, pointing to the "dangerous" running back duo of Marion Grice and D.J. Foster, as well as to starting quarterback Taylor Kelly, who is coming off a strong sophomore year and should only keeping getting better as a junior.
The writer even says ASU is overlooked within its own conference.
At this time last year, USC was the prohibitive Pac-12 South favorite. Yet the Trojans' struggles threw the division into chaos, and the Sun Devils could reap the benefits. Arizona State has the players to be one of the league's most balanced teams in 2013. If it can navigate a brutal first month that includes games against Wisconsin, Stanford, USC and Notre Dame, Graham's squad could challenge for a surprising BCS berth.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!