NCAA football analyst: Wisconsin the 'measuring stick' game for ASU
After hosting Sacramento State in the opener, the Devils will have a home game against 23rd-ranked Wisconsin before a road game against fourth-ranked Stanford, which will be followed by a home date with 24th-ranked USC. The brutal start finishes with a game against 14th-ranked Notre Dame at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.
By the time it is all over, we should have an idea of just how good the Sun Devils are. Win the majority, and perhaps they'll contend for a Pac-12 title. Lose most of them, and maybe the folks in Tempe are destined for a mediocre season.
At any rate, Phil Savage, who has been a director of player personnel, scout and coach in the NFL, and right now holds the titles of Executive Director of the Senior Bowl as well as radio analyst for the Alabama Crimson Tide, believes we'll know about ASU's prospects after their second game of the year.
"I think we're going to find out a lot about them when they play Wisconsin," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Tuesday. "Wisconsin brings a number of players back."
Savage called it "a good measuring stick game" with regards to whether or not the Sun Devils will compete for the Pac-12 title, but at the very least, he believes ASU is set up pretty well.
"Any time you start with some senior leadership, and Will Sutton is certainly on the defensive side and Marion Grice is a running back that people are talking a lot about," he noted. "They come into the second year of Todd Graham's program."
Expectations are high, as many believe the Sun Devils are in prime position to contend for -- and maybe win -- the Pac-12 South.
Can they? Will they?
We'll know soon enough.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.