MDA fundraiser on ABC raises $59.6 million
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - The Muscular Dystrophy Association's nationally broadcast 48th annual telethon and related fundraising efforts have raised about a million dollars more than last year with $59.6 million in contributions over the Labor Day weekend.
The two-hour "MDA Show of Strength" aired Sunday on ABC. MDA President and CEO Steven M. Derks says the money raised will go toward treatment of muscular dystrophy and related diseases, and funding of research to find a cure.
A release from the association said the total amount raised came from pledges during the show and through midnight Monday, as well as money raised by MDA sponsors.
Celebrities such as "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest and "Brady Bunch" mom Florence Henderson were part of the show's lineup this year, along with the Backstreet Boys, singer Paula Abdul and other entertainers.
The telethon was the third since comedian Jerry Lewis's 45-year role as host ended. Kelli Park, a spokeswoman for the Tucson, Ariz.-based MDA, says the 2012 telethon raised $58.7 million last year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.