ASU A.D. Patterson: Todd Graham 'loves it here'
Though Graham referred to ASU as his "dream job" and made it clear he planned on being in Tempe for a while, that did not stem the tide of negative analysis and feedback.
However, after a successful debut season that saw his team go 8-5, conversations about the coach have been less about where he is going than they have been about where his Sun Devils are heading.
A popular pick to win the Pac-12 South, 1-0 ASU is about to face an incredibly difficult part of its schedule. Survive, and the Devils could be major player this season and Graham a much-desired coach.
And as the Texas Longhorns continue to struggle, speculation is that coach Mack Brown may not be long for Austin. A native Texan, Graham would seem to be a good fit for one of the better jobs in the country.
Should it open up, of course.
When asked about the possibility of his coach leaving, ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta the trick is asking where Graham's wife Penni would prefer to live, Tempe or Austin.
"She would take Tempe, Arizona over just about anywhere," Patterson said, with a chuckle.
In truth, Patterson knows this is always a possibility with any coach, but it's not something he's worried about himself.
"We're excited to have Todd here," he said. "We're working on finishing up a (contract) extension.
"He loves it here, he's building something great."
Graham originally signed a five-year contract with a base salary of roughly $2 million in December 2011.
And while an extension may seem a bit premature given the fact that Graham has yet to even get halfway into his second season with the school, the college coaching landscape dictates that schools spend money to keep quality coaches around.
Then again, if the Texas job does open up and the school does target Graham, there may be little Arizona State can do to keep him around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.