Miss Kansas shows tattoos at Miss America pageant
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don't compete in pageants.
So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos- the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder.
Vail is a 22-year-old senior at Kansas State University. She's also a member of the Army National Guard who wants to become a military dentist.
Her platform is helping women overcome stereotypes and break barriers.
Given her platform, she wrote on her blog last month: "What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink."
The Miss America pageant is back in Atlantic City, N.J., after a six-year absence. The finale will be Sunday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?