Miss Kansas shows tattoos at Miss America pageant
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don't compete in pageants.
So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos- the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder.
Vail is a 22-year-old senior at Kansas State University. She's also a member of the Army National Guard who wants to become a military dentist.
Her platform is helping women overcome stereotypes and break barriers.
Given her platform, she wrote on her blog last month: "What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink."
The Miss America pageant is back in Atlantic City, N.J., after a six-year absence. The finale will be Sunday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.