Miss Kansas shows tattoos at Miss America pageant
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don't compete in pageants.
So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos- the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder.
Vail is a 22-year-old senior at Kansas State University. She's also a member of the Army National Guard who wants to become a military dentist.
Her platform is helping women overcome stereotypes and break barriers.
Given her platform, she wrote on her blog last month: "What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink."
The Miss America pageant is back in Atlantic City, N.J., after a six-year absence. The finale will be Sunday night.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!