Updated Sep 17, 2013 - 7:15 pm
Wisconsin State Journal publishes ASU-themed cartoon
In case you've somehow missed the multitude of opinions on the game's final 18 seconds over the past few days (like this one, this one or this one), Wisconsin attempted to center the ball for would-be game-winning field goal attempt. But after Badger quarterback Joel Stave took a knee in the center of the field, he set the ball down, and a pair of ASU defenders jumped on the ball — either thinking it was a fumble or trying to delay the officials from spotting the ball and allowing Stave to spike it and stop the clock.
Regardless of what their intentions were, the clock ran out before the referees were able to get the ball spotted, securing a 32-30 ASU win.
The Wisconsin State Journal — the largest newspaper in Madison, Wisc. — is also apparently upset about the ending, as evidenced by this cartoon that ran in the paper's Monday edition.
Pac-12 Officiating Coordinator Tony Corrente told the Pac-12 Networks that the play "didn't meet the standard of what we expect from our officials."
It's safe to say that the State Journal feels the same way.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.