Report: NFL scout says ASU's Will Sutton added 'bad weight'
He was named the Pac-12's Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year, and was a consensus All-American. It was thought he could have turned pro and been an NFL Draft pick, but he decided in January to return to school for his senior season.
While his team is 2-0 and ranked 23rd, Sutton has been a bit of a disappointment, with just three total tackles and zero sacks. What's the problem? According to NFL.com's Bucky Brooks, an NFL scout says the defensive tackle is too heavy.
Arizona State DT Will Sutton is viewed as an enigma in NFL circles. The 6-foot-1, 307-pound interior defender entered the season regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the country after posting 12 sacks a season ago, but scouts I've talked to are wondering if Sutton has lost his edge after gaining nearly 20 pounds in the offseason.
Talking to several evaluators at the Arizona State-Wisconsin game this weekend, I had a few guys tell me that Sutton looks sluggish and lacks the explosiveness that was a hallmark of his game in 2012. An AFC North personnel executive told me that Sutton has added "bad weight" and that his weight gain has taken away from his biggest assets -- speed and quickness. An NFC West scout suggested to me that Sutton needs to get in better shape and get his motor running to become the difference-maker some envision as a situational interior rusher in the NFL.
Sutton still has plenty of time to turn his season around, as it's only been two games. That said, getting back to being the explosive force he was last year would aid his NFL hopes as well as the Sun Devils.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!