Updated Sep 18, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Arizona State, Todd Graham agree to contract extension
The deal will run through 2018, and it is set to be voted on by the Arizona Board of Regents on Friday, Sep. 27.
The new terms mean Graham's salary will increase from $2.05 million to $2.3 million on July 1. From there, he will make $2.4 million in 2014, $2.5 million in 2015 and $2.6 million in 2016. His salary will increase by $50,000 annually from there.
There are other performance-based bonuses available to the coach.
Among the reasons cited for the contract extension by ASU are Graham's on-field success, where he guided the team to an 8-5 record in his first year, as well as the academic improvement the team has shown under his watch.
Other terms of the agreement are that the school can fire Graham without cause, though would have to pay his annual salary for the remainder of the contract term if it does. Conversely, if Graham elects to leave for another job, a $1.5 million buyout must be satisfied. That number drops to $1 million if at any point there are four or fewer years remaining on the contract.
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice stars for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?