Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 9:16 am
Arizona State focused on stopping USC on the ground
Wisconsin and Stanford have combined to gash ASU for 471 yards on the ground in ASU's last two games. While USC doesn't have quite the same rushing attack as those two teams, they are led by sophomore Tre Madden, who's already totaled 455 yards and a pair of scores.
The Arizona State defensive line has made it clear this week that their number one focus is on USC's ground game and forcing the Trojans to turn to the air.
"Once we stop the run and get their quarterback to really start throwing the ball we can get them playing for us," senior defensive tackle Will Sutton said.
Sophomore Cody Kessler is currently USC's starting quarterback, but only after edging out sophomore Max Wittek for the job following a lackluster competition between the two. On the season, USC has thrown for four touchdowns with three interceptions. Star wideout Marqise Lee only has 293 receiving yards through four games after totaling 1,721 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2012.
The Trojans currently rank seventh in the Pac-12 in rushing offense (176.5 yards per game) and ninth in the conference in passing offense (163.5 yards per game.)
"Their weak point is their quarterback," Sutton said. "The receivers are kind of frustrated because they can't get the ball and make plays really."
While they are focused on the run, Arizona State does need to keep its eye on Lee, who torched the Devils for 227 total yards and one TD in USC's 38-17 win in Los Angeles last year.
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!