Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 9:16 am
Arizona State focused on stopping USC on the ground
Wisconsin and Stanford have combined to gash ASU for 471 yards on the ground in ASU's last two games. While USC doesn't have quite the same rushing attack as those two teams, they are led by sophomore Tre Madden, who's already totaled 455 yards and a pair of scores.
The Arizona State defensive line has made it clear this week that their number one focus is on USC's ground game and forcing the Trojans to turn to the air.
"Once we stop the run and get their quarterback to really start throwing the ball we can get them playing for us," senior defensive tackle Will Sutton said.
Sophomore Cody Kessler is currently USC's starting quarterback, but only after edging out sophomore Max Wittek for the job following a lackluster competition between the two. On the season, USC has thrown for four touchdowns with three interceptions. Star wideout Marqise Lee only has 293 receiving yards through four games after totaling 1,721 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2012.
The Trojans currently rank seventh in the Pac-12 in rushing offense (176.5 yards per game) and ninth in the conference in passing offense (163.5 yards per game.)
"Their weak point is their quarterback," Sutton said. "The receivers are kind of frustrated because they can't get the ball and make plays really."
While they are focused on the run, Arizona State does need to keep its eye on Lee, who torched the Devils for 227 total yards and one TD in USC's 38-17 win in Los Angeles last year.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.