ASU A.D.: Notre Dame game a chance to 'extend our brand'
The Sun Devils held up their end of the bargain, entering the game 3-1 and ranked 22nd in the country, but the 3-2 Fighting Irish are unranked and looking nothing like the championship contender they were last season.
Still, this is not going to be your average, run-of-the mill college football game for a Sun Devil team that is not exactly used to big-time matchups. However, ASU athletic director Steve Patterson is not worried about how Todd Graham's team will handle the atmosphere.
"The field's still 100-yards long and they still line up with the same number of guys on the opposing side of the line," Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Tuesday. "You've just got to go play. I think it will be exciting."
This game, which is part of Notre Dame's "Shamrock Series," features both teams wearing new uniforms that were specifically designed for the matchup. The Fighting Irish will be wearing a white pants/jersey combination, and their gold helmet features a shamrock on the sides. Conversely, the Sun Devils will be wearing all black, with a helmet featuring flames and a few pitchforks.
"We wanted to do something different for the game," Patterson said. "No two helmets will be alike.
"It'll be sort of the flaming Sun Devils vs. the white-clad angels from Notre Dame."
Regardless of the atmosphere or the uniforms, Patterson knows this is a very important game for his team. It's the final of four straight against what figured to be upper-echelon opponents, and a win would give the Devils a 3-1 mark during that stretch. And of course, knocking off a team with the rich history of a Notre Dame would go a long way toward helping the program's image.
"It's a great opportunity for us to extend our brand," he said. "Folks will be able to see the exciting uniforms.
"Hopefully we go out and play well and be able to provide a platform to tell the story of all the great things that go on here at ASU."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.